Recipe #4: Sambal Ikan Bilis (Sauteed Chilli with Anchovies) Buns
Fillings Ingredients: Quantity
Red onion, sliced: 1 big
Leeks, sliced: 1/2 stick
Ikan Bilis (Dried Anchovies), soaked and drained: 1 cup
Sambal Tumis Ikan Bilis (Sauteed Chilli with Anchovies): 1 bottle
Dough Ingredients: Quantity
Bread flour: 400g
Water: 1 cup/ 250ml
Fine sugar: 4 tablespoons
Milk powder: 2 tablespoon
Instant yeast: 2 teaspoons
Salt: 1 teaspoon
Butter, soften: 50g
Egg, small (leave some for egg wash): 1
1. For the filling, fry onions and leeks with some oil. Add ikan bilis (anchovies) & fry until slightly crisp.
Add in the Sambal Tumis Ikan Bilis (Sauteed Chilli with Anchovies). Set aside to cool
2. For the buns, combine flour, water, sugar, milk powder and yeast with a dough hook and stand mixer. Mix at medium speed for about 5-7 minutes.
3. Scrape the bowl, add in salt, butter, and eggs. Continue to mix at medium speed for another 5 minutes until the dough looks shiny, smooth, and not sticky.
4. Transfer to an oiled, large bowl. Cover with cling wrap and leave to rise for about 1-1.5 hrs.
5. Punch dough down and knead the dough on the floured table to form a smooth dough. Divide into 16 portions. Form into a ball, pinching the underside and rolling onto the table to smoothen the balls.
6. Flatten and roll the balls with thinner edges. Put in about 2 teaspoons of the filling. Pinch and seal tight. Leave to rise, covered on a baking tray for 30-45 minutes.
7. Brush with egg wash, bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.